Okay friends. It’s pouring rain in Boston. It’s snowed a gazillion feet in DC. It’s time for one of my favorite cold-weather recipes: Taco Soup. This is easy, painless and even a novice cook could make a feast from this. Here’s what you do…
Accrue the following:
1-1.5 lb ground beef (or turkey, or tofu, if you swing that way)
1 large onion (diced)
1 large green pepper (diced)
1 can (about 15oz.) kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can chopped green beans
1 can corn (drain this can only)
2 cans diced tomatoes (1 can be Rotel if you can find it)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet ranch dressing mix (powder)
If you’re feeling sassy, you can arrange it all and take a spiffy picture:
How to make the above into deliciousness:
1) Dice what needs dicing! (That would be the onion and the pepper.)
2) Combine and brown the beef, onion and pepper in large pot over medium heat. If you’re using a normal large pot, you can do the whole recipe in that one pot! If you are using a crockpot, like I did, rock this step in a skillet.
3) Once meat is browned, add all remaining ingredients with the meat, onion and pepper. If you are using a crockpot, turn that sucker on low and combine the meat, onion and pepper with all the other ingredients.
4) Season to taste. Go crazy! This is the fun of cooking! Fresh garlic, garlic salt, onion salt, pepper, cyan pepper! Whatever you can find!
5) Allow to simmer on low heat for an hour. Go watch a movie. Or Lost. Or How I Met Your Mother. Those are your only three options.
6) Put the soup in bowl and sprinkle grated cheese on top. This can be enjoyed with a spoon, or with tortilla chips.
7) Save the remainder for happy eating the rest of the week!
This recipe was originally brought to me by ukstateofmind, who learned it from her mom. Check out her awesome blog about starting a non-profit in the UK. Enjoy the soup!